Thursday, October 18, 2012

SHARE OR DIE. just graduated



Wow, Share or Die voices of the get lost generation in the age of crisis is an eye opening book. I haven’t read much of the book but, it’s hard to put down. The book is a collection of stories from a selection of different newly graduated people in their life after college. There are two stories in particular that I really like in the book: Heartbeats and Hashtags: Youth in Service, and The Janus-faced Craigslist: Comedy, Tragedy and Video Games.

The first story Heartbeats and Hashtags: Youth in Service is a story of a girl and how she is managing to stay alive in New York with a 25 dollar stipend every week. Hannah Brencher was a volunteer in New York for one year after college. She gave 8 hours of her life each day for an entire year, I find this incredible. I find it hard to imagine giving so much of my life to helping others in need, you can call me selfish but, I bet there are others out there like me… unfortunately. Hannah was volunteering in Manhattan for six months until she started with Sister Margaret at her community life center.

Ever have those moments when you go online and try to find information on a shop only to find that they don’t have a website or they have a very poor one? That happens to me a lot and usually my search ends there, unless they have a phone number. That is how Sister Margaret’s website looked. Well, Hannah (like most of us) knows her way around the computer and decided to really make and impact. Hannah set up a complete website, detailed, and integrated with social media.

The next story The Janus-faced Craigslist: Comedy, Tragedy and Video Games, is a story of a newly graduated boy moving from DC to Seattle with friends. It starts with a road trip across the country to an unknown town. Ryan Gleason’s story is mostly a story of trying to stay alive by keeping a constant income. Ryan stayed alive by getting free items on Craigslist and finding jobs on Craigslist. Ryan jumps from job to job only moving to another when being fired.
These are two completely different stories only being tied together by two things hard times and the internet. Hannah and Ryan both went through rough times but, they both made it through safely and dealt with it in two completely different ways. You may call me naïve but, I believe that this really says that as long as you have an optimistic outlook on where you are in life then you will be OK. Now, as for the internet, IT IS AMAZING! There are so many outstanding things the internet can do and here are just two ways of the millions out there.

I am going to keep reading this book and I suggest reading it to anyone out there. I think this book will benefit anyone reading it, even if it is just getting a kick out of some silly stories.

1 comment:

  1. I like your thought on how the two stories are connected. The book is very widespread so finding something you like is very easy. The eight hours a day to volunteer is crazy! And being on the internet and trying to find a website for a company and they don't have one or it's poorly made makes me angry.

    ReplyDelete